Week 7 – POTCERT

I’m so excited to blog about this topic!!  I had never really thought about the implications of “not” having a community in my online course.  I figured, “Just show up, figure out what you need to do, and get it done people!!”  WRONG!!! 

As I watched Pilar’s workshop, I had a light bulb moment!  My f2f classes are so successful because I naturally create community within the classroom.  I am a super open person and share a ton with my students.  I share so many of my “insert foot in mouth” experiences…  this not only makes students laugh, but they also open up and share personal experiences as well.  What is this??  COMMUNITY!!! 

So how does one take these positive experiences and transfer them on to this new, crazy medium called “online learning?”  It is vital that we do this….  videos?  synchronous discussion? texting? facebook?

I remember taking an online class (ONCE & NEVER AGAIN!!) because all we did was read and write papers.  I absolutely HATED it.  Why did I hate it?  Lack of community, esthetics, warmth & communication….  do I want that for my students?  uh…. no!!! 

The reading didn’t spark my interest much!  I would like to be able to send text messages to students rather than e-mails, Bb doesn’t allow for this yet.

I think next weeks readings will be more interesteing as it addresses group activity areas, etc.

Look forward to making some videos to welcome my students and using voiceboards!!

¡Hasta pronto!

This entry was posted in Potcert. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Week 7 – POTCERT

1. Ralene says:

Hi Donna — I want to take your class! Great post – honest & to the point. Glad you’re on board — looking forward to following your discoveries & progress!

2. Melissa says:

Do you think students would like to get text messages instead of emails? Curious how many would “opt in” to that….considering they may have to pay for additional texting charges, etc…

• Melissa,

You bring up a good point! I guess students could choose how they would like to receive communications. So many of my students make the comment, “Prof, can you just text me?” The majority of them don’t even look at their e-mail anymore! Thanks for commenting, Donna

3. Shahrzad says:

Hi Donna,

I was excited to read your post. I agree with you that Pilar’s video was inspiring and it gave me an idea of how to be creative about building an online community.

I am usually a very shy person, but in my classroom I make extra efforts to engage all students and make sure they get along well. How can you teach a language class when you have quiet students? For language teachers, it is crucial to excite students and have them participate. I usually take advantage of my talkative students’ energy to get others to laugh or become part of the community as well.

I think it is harder online but I think with consistent effort it can be done. One has to work harder at it and keep telling students how important it is for their participation grade. When my students don’t speak or speak in English in my French class, I tell them I take 25 cents from them every time they speak English and at the end we will all go to a coffee shop with the accumulated money. It is these types of stimuli that one must use online in order to show them that one cares and that their participation is essential.
    What do you think?

• I love the 25 cents idea!! That is cute! In an online setting, it will be so much more difficult to inspire langauge productions. But at least we can get them to make posts on the discussion board in the targer language. Thanks for your input and ideas!

4. Lisa M Lane says:

I’m not sure Blackboard would want to included texting, but there are a number of sites where you can do it securely, including Remind 101.

5. Sou Lackkaty says:

YOU SAID: … all we did was read and write papers. I absolutely HATED it. Why did I hate it? Lack of community, esthetics, warmth & communication…. do I want that for my students? uh…. no!!!

I have never taken an online class until POT, and I didn’t know anything else. Thanks for giving me that perspective. Although I do not teach an online class, I do have Bb and use it. But, the way I use Bb is different because we are on ground. Therefore, we have community and that translate into Bb, too. The students email classmates through Bb, but they already have a rapport with them in class. And, we do discussion board, but we already have done some of it face-to-face or in class.

I think having an on ground environment and available online resources are blessings in disguise. I have the opportunity to practice. In the event that I should have the chance to do online courses, I should be able to transition somewhat easier and not be in total “online” culture shock.

What do you think?

• Yes, I use Bb in my f2f courses as well… I do have the experience of taking an online classs that was not very favorable.

I’m hoping that when I do teach online, it will be a much different experience.

Thanks for your input & ideas!

6. Norm Wright says:

Sharing your “insert foot in mouth” experiences…
    Reminded me I once had a chance to tell the class about a time I really botched something up on the job. After I told that story, students started asking more questions about the workplace. Since I work in my field during the day, my night school students were often asking what I was working on that day. I hadn’t thought about using thses stories with an online class, but maybe it would be a good way to buiild some rapport online. Just thinking…

• I love the idea Norm… maybe posting short video clips on those phenomenal “teachable moments” and having students comment on them using voiceboards?

Thanks for the inspiration!