Week 5: The Online Syllabus

I was very interested in the reading for this week as I originally used WebCt and Blackboard as a glorified online syllabus and warehouse for course documents for my f2f classes. Over the years I had improved on the map and schedule aspects of the online syllabus and began to introduce other tools – like discussion- into the class.

On Blackboard I have been using the “Announcements” tool to e-mail students what to expect for the following week in class and then using the “Course Link” to link to folders representing each week. Student feedback for my classes indicates that they like being “harassed” by e-mail reminders. Within each folder is information on reading assignments, links to lecture outlines, primary sources to be discussed in class, and reminders for exams.  I have always believed in giving the students many ways to access information about the class; paper syllabus, online syllabus, and in-class announcements. On feature that I wish the “Announcements” function had was that I could have course links within the announcements message. Unfortunately Blackboard only lets you link to one place in the announcement function.

For an online class I would consider using Pilar’s approach to the syllabus rather than having to create detailed announcements every week.

Another suggestion from the videos and the book would be to record an introduction to the class using Camtasia which would show the students how to use the course website and give them orally/visually what they should expect from me and what I would expect from them.

My biggest takeaway from this week is to clearly state all of your policies and expectations and to create an online environment in which your students feel comfortable and able to work in.

Now to learn about Diigo…..