Week 20: Introduction to Educational Technology and Instructional Design

“the real challenge in college teaching is not covering the material for the students; it’s uncovering the material with the students.”  -Smith et al

I really liked the quote above from Jim Julius’ introduction to Educational Technology and Instructional Design. I’m going to keep this in mind when designing my online World History course for next Fall. I really liked Jim’s overview and will be following up on the resources he provided at the end of the video. When reading the outline on Philosophies of Technology, I was especially interested in the Critical Theory approach and agree that all technologies “contain dual impulses towards liberation and domination.” This statement applies to Facebook, Twitter, Blackboard, everything… UbD is also a simple but very effective tool for course design. Think backward! Finally, I’ve looked over the rubrics from QOLT and will take them into consideration in the design process. Thanks for the overview Jim.

Ko and Rossen had some very good points for those of us who use a CMS to support our F2F classes. I found their discussion of recording our lectures very interesting. Does anyone record their lectures and provide them to students later? I’ve been recording lectures for the past two years either as a Camtasia video or audio file. What are your views on recording lectures? Does anyone use Discussion Boards for F2F classes? I’ve used them for students to prep for in-class discussions. Has anyone used Wikis or Journals for F2F classes? I’ve used journaling for my Middle Eastern History class for reflective writing.

I liked Richard Schwier’s lecture. I was especially interested in his comments at the end as to how the medium of communication (books, newspapers, television, or twitter) frames or shapes how we perceive things.  Here is an alternative video on education technology. I’m going retro with an oil lantern projector for my lectures. Night..Night…

http://youtu.be/t5_v9Aqb9XA