Research as of 4/9/17

My general topic of study has been the history of studying ethics, so the concepts and ideologies of ethics that have arisen in modern western civilization, as well as the philosophers behind these concepts. I’ve studied through the various schools of ethics, their differing ways of viewing morality, and where they developed. At this moment I’m still working to establish a base thesis and its argument that I’ll be able to write on. From what I’ve learned and researched I will either be writing on the establishment of the Utilitarian school of philosophical thought and its development in 18th century Britain, or the differences between 18th-19th century philosophers in Britain and the rest of Europe. Here are my sources consulted to far, and over the coming weeks I’ll be working tirelessly to expand this list and gather more information.

• Becker, Lawrence C., and Charlotte B. Becker. A History of Western Ethics. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y: Routledge, 2003. JSTOR. Web.
  • Bhattacharya, Malini. “Utilitarianism and the Concept of Authorial Autonomy in Early 19th Century England.” Economic & Political Weekly 17.31 (1982): n. pag. Web. 7 Apr. 2017.
  • Crisp, Roger. The Oxford Handbook of the History of Ethics. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2013. JSTOR. Web.
  • Duignan, Brian. The History of Western Ethics. New York: Britannica Educational Pub. in Association with Rosen Educational Services, 2011. JSTOR. Web.
  • Irwin, Terence. The Development of Ethics: A Historical and Critical Study. Vol. 2. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2009. JSTOR. Web.
  • Irwin, Terence. The Development of Ethics: A Historical and Critical Study. Vol. 3. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2011. JSTOR. Web.
  • Slote, Michael. Essays on the History of Ethics. New York, NY: Oxford UP, 2010. JSTOR. Web.