Designing a good class… not easy!

This week I really enjoyed reading the book; reviewing Lisa’s charts; and watching the model videos of online instructors. I asked in the Facebook Group Discussion a question that was very well responded for several of my colleagues and clarify my thoughts. I was trying to fill Lisa’s charts following the departmental SLOs and the pedagogical goals and I found myself not knowing if I could make any type of synchronous communication with my students. I felt the need to know this in order to fulfill my objective of evaluate the verbal communication of my students. The Fb conversation was very diverse; but in the end I think it was clear to me that if I decide to make synchronous oral evaluations I need to communicate this very well at the beginning of the class and set at least two time-options (one AM and other PM) for them to sign in.

I am not sure if I am ready to design an online course yet; but definitely this week got me very excited about it and made me feel good to know that being an experienced teacher and knowing the mechanical aspect of the online environment will help me decide which instructional activities I will do aligned with the learning outcomes.

I also want to thank all the POT instructors and my mentor this week. Besides the responses I got in Fb; I had to email them with problems with my blog and they responded to me and solve the problem almost immediately! I know at least one instructor personally and I know she is a mother, a wife and a full time instructor… HOW DOES SHE DO IT!! I can only hope to be as good and as dedicated as they are.

Gracias!

Laura

Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Designing a good class… not easy!”

1. M. Conrey Says:

I also enjoyed the FB conversation and it got me to thinking about how I can add a synchronous (yet optional) dicussion in my online course. My students work on an semester-long project and I think it would be very beneficial to have a “chat” session with students to go over how to plan and implement the project. I’m sureemail questions would decrease, understanding would increase, and grades on the project would probably improve as well. Now to figure out HOW to do it in Blackboard! Thanks for the discussion!

2. Jim Sullivan Says:

Laura: I think often about this question of synchronous learning and I anxiously await the next round of technology that will allow a medium sized group of people to look at each other, see each other, and work together in large and small groups live. Google + Hangouts is a step in that direction. Whenever those changes occur, then I will feel like I can be my full self in the online world.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

3. Todd Conaway Says:

I agree with Jim that it is pretty exciting to see where synchronous tools are headed and how they may play out in online classes. Good times in education, at least if you enjoy challenge and opportunity.