Adventures of a Technology Challenged Online Instructor

Blogging About Student Blogging (Week 10)

After viewing Lisa’s slidecast and Jim’s Elluminate session, I was all excited to figure out a way to engage my students in the blogging process.  Nevermind that I just started blogging for this course and don’t really have much experience in the “blog-0-sphere” at all.  I think, at first, students would be reluctant to the idea of creating their own blogs (just as I was for this course), but I can really see the value in creating community, and providing students with a “less formal” was to practice their writing skills.  I have been against using Twitter mainly because of the character limit and the “text speak” that is used in posts, but I think a blog would be useful to students.

I’m curious if anyone has used the Blackboard Blog function before?  I know Jim said in his session that he has not tried the blogging function in Blackboard.  I think if I were to have my students blog, I would actually like to try in out in the Blackboard setting.  That just gives students a central location where all course material can be found and they are all pretty familiar with the Blackboard format.  I know it wouldn’t allow public access to student blogs, but I think for my course, that may be best.

When my student’s work on their semester-long Lifestyle Wellness Project, they have to keep a log of their progress over a 6-week period.  I have always given students the option to use a blog for their Project Log, but maybe 1 0r 2 students actually take me up on that (out of 145 students).  I think having students create a Blackboard blog where they can keep track of their progress may be a great benefit to both me and my students.  I’d be able to check up on how my students are doing by viewing their blogs and they’d be able to get comments and feedback from classmates as well….as long as the Blackboad blog functions the same way as a typical blog.  The privacy of it being in Blackboard is a benefit for my students because some of them are working on very sensistive personal issues and may not want the entire world to see what they’re doing.  My next step is to take a look at the Blackboard tutorials and figure out how I can get the Blog function to work for me.

This week also had us look at Engrade and Google Sites.  I liked Engrade, but I don’t think I’ll use it only because the Blackboard Grade Center is so handy and easy to use already.  I did have fun with Google Sites and felt that it was fairly easy to navigate.  I started to create a mock up of an intro page for my course here.  Maybe I am becoming a “techie” afterall!

3 Responses to “Blogging About Student Blogging (Week 10)”

1. Jim Sullivan says:

I wish I had some wisdom to offer about blackboard’s blog function, but I still have not played with it. If you do, will you please let me know how it goes?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Hi Melissa,

I think it depends on what the blog is for. If the blog is for assessment as part of a course that runs in Blackboard, then this might be OK.

My problem with Blackboard for blogging – if I was a student – would be that ‘it wouldn’t be mine’. I wouldn’t have control over it. It would be in the University’s LMS. I have always resisted eportfolios for similar reasons.

I am not a student – but I do blog – and what is most important to me is that it is MY blog – my space.

Would you be able to offer this ownership with the Blackboard blogs?

Finally, the last time I looked at Blackboard blogs (like Moodle blogs) is that the level of functionality is much lower than in something like WordPress, i.e. the blogger has less choices over how to set it up – but maybe I’m out of date with the most recent versions of Blackboard.

Jenny

3. Trinh Bakker says:

I and also my buddies came reading through the great helpful hints located on your website and so suddenly I got a terrible suspicion I never expressed respect to the web site owner for them. The women were totally passionate to learn all of them and now have undoubtedly been tapping into them. Thanks for turning out to be considerably helpful and then for making a decision on these kinds of impressive tips millions of individuals are really wanting to be aware of. My sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to earlier.