Medical Billing & Coding

WEEK 1 – POTCERT

Hello fellow POT participants.  I am new to this technology.  I have already learned quite a bit in the weeks prior to class starting and am excited about all this new information.

I have been a medical terminology, medical billing and coding, and medical transcription instructor for the past 20+ years.  In the medical industry we have been involved with the technology innovations and I have tried to keep up with these improvements in communication.  However, I have not kept current in all the social media and now am stepping up and learning this great information.

I have been teaching at MiraCosta College for just three years as I have lived in the Los Angeles area most of my life.  I also currently teach at El Camino College, in Torrance, and at Torrance Memorial Hospital University.  I am a freeway flyer and previously taught at  Cal State Long Beach, Santa Monica College, Harbor College, and West LA College.  I now teach at fewer schools and spend more time on The Strand in Oceanside in my little cottage on the beach.   I am old, damn it, and I spend more time enjoying my hobbies now that my kids are out of the house.  One of my hobbies, like most teachers, is to continue to educate myself.  I also love to travel, and find that most of my fellow travelers are also teachers.  So here we are trying to educate ourselves and improve the quality of our students’ educational experience.  What could be better!

I am here to learn and give my students every opportunity to engage and really learn the information I am trying to pass along.  I love teaching and wish to be the best provider of exciting information for my students.

SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE, IT IS A GREAT WAY TO ACHIEVE IMMORTALITY

I have learned a lot reading all of the blogs.  I purchased the text a few weeks ago and have read through Chapter 3, and had to go back and read again Chapter 1.  I wish to offer a hybrid class and also a totally online class presentation.  The information in Chapter 1 regarding all the great online information we can use to enhance the learning experience is amazing.  The sky is the limit.  The only thing lacking is our imagination.  Super! TIME TO GET CREATIVE

6 Responses to “WEEK 1 – POTCERT”

1. Lisa M Lane says:

Hi Jo! Your enthusiasm and energy really come through in your writing. Imagination and creativity are wonderful things to bring to this class. I look forward to learning with you.

2. Lovely post Jo. Nice to see you here. I am sure I will learn a lot with your experiences.

See you online.

3. Jim Stauffer says:

You say One of my hobbies, like most teachers, is to continue to educate myself
    That gives me hope that I won’t need to quit educating myself either even though I too will eventually have to admit that I’m old. (My 16-year-old self would already call me old, but what does he know?) I think your quote should be on a poster promoting “lifelong learning”.

4. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back sometime soon. I want to encourage you continue your great writing, have a nice morning!

• Jo Moore says:

Well hello on this beautiful. What kind words. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am learning how to embed videos and hope you check out the newest blog for a great unbirthday song to you. Have fun as we learn and grow.

5. ableparent says:

Quality post and information, appreciate your time taken here.