Brainstorming Ideas for Online Class
Brainstorming Ideas for Online Class avatar

This week I was able to really brainstorm ideas for my online class. Many ideas have crossed my mind but the “Where the Hell do I Start?” questionnaires really helped me narrow what I’d like to use for my online class.

The Pedagogical Design reflects my Student Learning Outcomes which are Speaking, Learning, Writing and Listening/Understanding (the language). Those are important components in learning a language. It incorporates Vocabulary, Grammar, Culture, History-Geography and even some French Philosophy. Writing can be achieved through Writing Compositions (every Chapter/Unit), Pen Pals (either required or for extra-credit) and practice exercises (on an online website linked to the textbook). Reading, again in an online class setting would include reading the textbooks as well as various handouts I would post on Blackboard. The Speaking SLO is the most difficult to achieve, in my opinion, as this is designed for an online course. I was thinking if students could record themselves using tools like Wimba or practice with other students (also using Wimba). As for my fourth SLO, Listening and Understanding, I believe lectures, videos/clips and other students would be some of the best “tools” to help them achieve this objective. Also, if I had “guest speakers” post a video of themselves, it would be a great way for students to listen; and, knowing it’s a video, they could watch it over and over again in order to best understand it.

I would like to experiment with various tools for each component of my course. I have various Design Elements for my course. My Lessons could use Blackboard, Wimba, Powerpoint, YouTube, iMovie, Edustream and Word docs. My students’ Writing Compositions could be submitted via Blackboard and the use of Edublog could eventually come in handy. The Projects I require my students to work on and submit (via Blackboard) would use tools such as Google Search and possibly Camtasia. For practice, students could connect via Skype and Wimba and the recordings for each Quiz would be made possible via Wimba and/or Camtasia. Their Mid-Term which could still be a presentation would most definitely use Powerpoint and hopefully Slideshare. The use of Wimba is also a possibility. Their final exam could be completed via Blackboard and a recording device such as Wimba. I could create office hours via Elluminate and/or Skype.

I am pretty excited about all of these new options I could use. I’m still getting use to embedding links and videos and the whole HTML language as a whole, but I’m hoping this practice will help me get better.

Some other thoughts now… I, (and many of my students for various projects) frequently use the Google Search tool to find information we are looking for. Recently I watched a video that was pretty eye-opening regarding what our Google search (and other websites) “show” us. See video below:

Finally, I thought I’d post something more “personal”–a video of one of my sons (Noah – 1 1/2) imitating animal sounds although he knows quite a few more now. (I speak to my children only in French so they will be bilingual.)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Brainstorming Ideas for Online Class

1. Avatar M. Conrey says:

I just started using Wimba Voice in my Blackboard course and really like it! I’m going to survey the students in Week 8 to see if they are enjoying the voice annoucements and updates instead of everything being in email/text annoucements. I also post YouTube videos for students and the MiraCosta library is a good source of other educational videos you can embed into blackboard.

• Avatar Prof DeMeo says:

I love Wimba! Curious how you use voice announcements…? Also, how does it work to text students (keep it professional though)? I haven’t even thought of doing that…

2. Avatar Jason Green says:

Just curious — do you define your student learning outcomes in terms of grammar structures (Students will be able to write sentences in the passé composé.) or in terms of communicative function (Students will be able to describe their and other’s domiciles.)?

• Avatar Prof DeMeo says:

To be honest Jason, so far I have been more vague. I actually have a Power Point I show my students the very first day of class as to what they should expect from me (learning-wise) such as: “you will learn how to communicate in the past tense (for both passé composé & imparfait)” and “you will learn how to describe yourself and others”. I hope that makes sense.

3. Its a very good post. I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read.

4. Avatar Donna says:

Hi Prof!
    I love your idea about a guest speaker in the target language! Fantastique! The video of yourself with your son is also amazing! Perhaps students could post a similar video using the vocabulary from the lesson and the “sounds” or “smells” or whatever else they make… Great ideas!

5. Avatar Alyson says:

A lot of thanks for every one of your work on this website. Debby takes pleasure in doing investigation and it’s really easy to see why. A number of us know all relating to the compelling mode you render both interesting and useful suggestions through this website and therefore cause participation from some other people about this subject and our daughter has been studying a whole lot. Take pleasure in the rest of the new year. Your doing a very good job.