POT: Week 6

Here we are in Week 6 of the Program for Online Teaching. I have so many ideas of things I’d like to incorporate in an online class as well as on-campus class. I almost don’t know where to start. One thing I’d like to change is my Curriculum Format. I’d simplify my life if I’d add Hyperlinks to any document/video I’d like to show my class. I’m considering changing my Lesson Planning to reflect that for next semester. Though tedious, this will save a lot of time in the long run–for my students and myself!

I scored an 83% on the Internet Skills Quiz. I clearly need to learn more Internet “lingo” and tools. ;( (I’m not quite sure how to add emoticons into my blog yet).

Dave Raggett’s Introduction to HTML had a lot of valuable information and I sure feel like I could use all of what he taught in time–yet for my current level of expertise (or lack thereof), I feel that I will need to reread the information over and over again. This Week, I’m discovering that teaching online is truly a different kind of teaching–it requires a lot of organization (which I have) but also a lot of knowledge in formatting documents, etc.–which I need to acquire.

Learning about RSS the Oprah Way was also interesting. I almost forgot I was “subscribed” to Google Reader. I did NOT however, figure out how to add the Pegagogy First! blog to my reader (help!?!). Does it matter since I barely use Google Reader?

I knew how to embed videos from YouTube since there is an “embed” button below each YouTube video. I actually use it in my class all the time. I didn’t know though, that any link containing a video could be embedded simply by adding the correct “lingo” (as I call it). I’ll test it out below and see if I got it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTLsLKBwJq0&list=UUfPphdKi30kYeHMTLhN3GRg&index=1&feature=plcp

Looks like it worked! I just learned something very useful. By the way, that cute little boy in the video pointing out different body parts in French is one of my two sons (Noah–almost 2!).

I am still getting used to “blogging” (I love to write but seldomly find time to journal about my life). I haven’t figured out how to add a picture (or avatar) on my WordPress blog. Can someone help me?

Finally, here’s a video I had my students watch after learning about family in class yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINk6C-DE8k&feature=fvwrel

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to POT: Week 6