Week 16: Our Students Online

I enjoyed the reading this week especially Ko & Rossen, Chapter 10: Preparing Students for Online Learning. I feel it is very important to make my online class as interactive as possible that will favor verbal, visual, and kinesthetic learners. The reading discussed the problems related to Learning Style and online communication.  Using audio, videos, pictures, mind maps (what we learned last week:) are all excellent tools . It is key to prepare our students for what they are about to encounter in our online course. There is never too much preparation that we can provide students!  In the below frequently asked questions list, I included a link of a distance education quiz that is currently on the MiraCosta Website. THANK YOU to whoever created this useful quiz! 🙂

FAQ
1.) What is my potential as an online student?

Take this Quiz to measure your potential for success as a CyberCosta student.

2.) Is tutoring available for online students?

Yes! MiraCosta offers online tutoring for a variety of subjects. Check out e-tutoring here.

3.) Where can I go to get help with Blackboard?

If this is your first time using Blackboard, or if you have any questions, click here to access Blackboard tutorials and instructions.

4.) How do I submit assignments?

Read each assignment.  Compose your paper, save your assignment as a MS Word Document on your desktop. 

Come back to this Blackboard course and click on the Assignments Title or View/Complete Assignment and attach the file to this assignment.  Use the Browse feature to attach the file to this assignment.  Or, you can copy and paste your assignment directly into the assignments text box.

Remember to click SUBMIT to finalize the process. 

If you have done this correctly, when you go to Student Tools, click  on My Grades, you will see an ! next to the assignment name.

When I have graded the assignment, you will see points in place of the “!” mark and my comments.

5.) What are the requirements for the discussion board?

You are required to respond to the discussion board topic once a week, as well as respond to at least one classmate. Weekly discussion board postings are worth 10 points each. Please try to post your first response by Friday, midnight so others have time to respond to your original post. Just REMEMBER, you earn 5 points for your first post, and 5 points for responding to one of your classmates post. Click on the following link to learn about posting instructions, format, and rubric of the discussion board: Coun110Discussion Board Instructions-1

6.) What is Online Netiquette?

Please use Netiquette while posting on the discussion board and responding to your classmates. Read about online netiquette here:  Coun110 Netiquette Guidelines

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Week 16: Our Students Online