Week 17: Classroom Management

I found a lot of thought provoking ideas in the material this week from reading Chapter 11, Lisa’s blog post, and while listening to Louisa Moon’s recording. I definitely understand the importance of classroom management.   I can see a connection between online teaching, on-ground teaching, and even counseling.  In all teaching settings, it is important to save all documentation, setting  boundaries, creating rubrics, and share with others. There are so many excellent practices that can be incorporated into many educational situations.

Ten Time Saving Tips For Online Teaching

There is an abundance of tips presented in the audio recording. I can tell Louisa Moon has a lot of experience and dedication to her teaching. The most important tip I took away from this audio video was – tech support.  As a counselor, I often see students in my office that do not understand what to do for their online course.  Many times , I refer students to MiraCosta’s Student Success Workshops on such topics on “How to use Blackboard.” I have wondered if the school should offer some type of orientation for students interested in taking an online class? Another tip mentioned that I really like about what Louisa suggested is to provide to the students a list of links and references they can use for technical questions.

7  Things I’d Want to Know

I enjoyed reading all 7 tips. My personal favorite is knowing HTML.  I feel that I need to practice more with HTML, and feel that it can really benefit me as an online instructor.

Ko & Rossen, Chapter 11, Classroom Management and Facilitation

I love the tips for record keeping and file management.  I completely agree with creating folders of the components of your online course to stay organized. Also, by sorting email automatically in the online class folder has always helped me keep on top of my organization. In addition, asking students to use a standard format in the subject line when submitting work through email is another wonderful idea.

I also came across the following article this week related to Online Classroom Management that I thought is useful and provides even more great tips, entitled, Strategies for Effective Online Teaching. 

All the tips I learned this week will help my online classroom structure and management. Thank you for all the resources provided!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Week 17: Classroom Management