Week 19: Web-Enhanced, Hybrid and Open Classes
Week 19: Web-Enhanced, Hybrid and Open Classes avatar

create a gif
you can create a gif here

After reading, chapter 13: Teaching Web Enhanced and Blended Classes, some important points stood out to me:

• Tips for Teaching Web-Enhanced Courses, pg. 359– Currently, I am using a web enhanced system for my live in person classes. I post my syllabus, all my PowerPoint lectures, handouts, video links, assignments and due dates, daily motivators, and grades in Blackboard. The book discusses the argument if students would come to class if lectures were posted online. I believe by posting lectures definitely can help students~even if a student learns better by listening and taking notes, having access to the PowerPoint point later can be a benefit in understanding the material. Also, I have found it very helpful to post all grades on Blackboard. In this way, students can view them at anytime , and can be aware of their standing in the class. I also wanted to mention email. Students can email me or each other or the whole class through Blackboard. I have found this so helpful. Students have emailed classmates if they missed a class to receive class notes and have created study groups by using the email tool through Blackboard! So cool!
  • Establishing Virtual Office Hours, pg 367 Has anyone used an online chat software? If so, which one and how did it work? Having virtual office hours seems to be a great idea for a completely online class.

The article “Using Online Technologies to Extend a Classroom to Learners at a Distance” describes a study that was conducted by David Wiley from Brigham Young University who offered a class online free of charge where he encouraged students to participate and turn in assignments. Reading this article definitely reminded me of our POT Certification course. David Wiley used tools that we are familiar with such as WordPress, SecondLife, Elluminate, Mind Mapping, etc. The study was successful, however,  time had an impact on student’s opinion regarding open and hybrid classes. Some students kept going with the online course, and some quit. I did feel guilty while reading this part because I only finished half of the POT Certificate last year, and now I am back for more! 🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Week 19: Web-Enhanced, Hybrid and Open Classes

1. Sounds like Blackboard works great to enhance your on-the-ground courses. It’s tied to Wimba, right? Have you checked it out for online chat? http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Collaborate/Overview.aspx

Last week I met for MidTerm Conferences in Second Life, Google Hangout, and Skype — whatever worked best for my students. Google Hangout was probably the most effective because it’s super easy to share screens and wearing silly hats breaks any ice.

I can certainly relate to the challenges of keeping on keeping on with open courses. I see the posts from previous weeks interspersed among those for Week 19 and remember how hard it was for me to catch up during POT CERT last year. Good for you for getting back on that horse 😉

• Avatar S. Decker says:

Wow! Thank you for sharing the blackboard link! Pretty neat that there is a mobile collaboration tool!

This spring semester , I have integrated our POT course into my weekly routine…I am making it part of my habit…and it is working ! 🙂

2. btw I meant to add thanks for the animated gif maker. These are so hot these days. There’s even an iPhone app.

3. Avatar Rachele DeMeo says:

Loved your post! I like the cool tool you used as well (http://www.picasion.com/). Thanks for sharing that!!!
    I like Skype a lot. I stay in touch with many out-of-the-country friends via Skype and have even conducted office hours (for students who were unable to physically come in the office) using Skype. I personally enjoyed it. 🙂

• Avatar S. Decker says:

Thank you for your comment! I just discovered picasion.com myself! 🙂 Skype does seem like a great way to conduct office hours. I will give it a try! Thank you for sharing your experience!

4. Pingback: POT – Week 20: Introduction to Educational Technology and Instructional Design | Rachele DeMeo ~ Teaching Blog & Site

5. Pingback: Week 24 | Rachele DeMeo ~ Teaching Blog & Site