“Is there anybody out there?” – Pink Floyd

My online course has doubled in size this term so I have been anticipating a big increase in my workload. The initial series of emails and getting-started instructions did grow, but they were manageable largely due to some of the great tools I learned in the Pedagogy First program last year such as creating short introductory tutorial videos that I can post or send to confused students and saving standard email replies for frequently asked questions.

Now things are relatively quiet.     photo credit: Neal. via photopin cc

I keep wondering if there is something horribly wrong that I have not caught.

photo credit: Domiriel via photopin cc

Nope.

Discussions are going well, assignments are better than I have ever seen in the course, and only a very few students are encountering any true technical abilities. But, I keep wondering, “Is there anybody out there?”

photo credit: moominsean via photopin cc

This year I have added a significant number of introductory videos, extra links for course resources, example essays from previous terms, and more FAQs. Maybe all these additions are actually working. Maybe the silence I am experiencing is not student apathy or confusion, but maybe, just maybe, the course is working better for this group of students.

4 thoughts on ““Is there anybody out there?” – Pink Floyd

1. Maybe the items that you added are working for your students. Have you considered surveying them anonymously to find out? I am trying to think of some of the questions you might ask to see what is and is not working and if, as you mentioned, the things you have provided are helping them so much that things are quiet. Are you using a system where you can track what they are clicking to see what they are using the most?

2. Your pictures rock! It makes me realize that in today’s society images are important. In my class, as soon as I show a video, my students are extremely attentive. Thanks for the reminder! 🙂