Week 24: Summary

POT restarted in Week 13 (Introductions).

For Week 14 (Classroom Elements), I learned how to post an image in a blog. In addition, I shared with my fellow learners how this particular image was used in my dissertation study and reflected on how very powerful images can be in both face-to-face and online learning environments.

In Week 15 (Audio & Video), I recorded my post using Audacity for the first time. In my post, I discussed the potential benefits of using Audacity in an online Medical Terminology Course.

Screencasting and Multimedia were the topics for Week 16. As such, technology took center stage. During the week, I experimented with Lucid Chart, Prezi, and Screen-o-matic and decided to use Lucid Chart to digitally create a concept map of a respiratory disorder. Using Lucid Chart reminded me of using a classroom whiteboard to connect concepts for students.

The topic of Week 17 was Online Leaners. By reading the posts of my fellow learners, I became aware of how important FAQs are for the efficient functioning of an online course. I also learned how to build a survey using Survey Monkey.

In Week 18 (Classroom Management and Facilitation), I learned to use pedagogy as the guide for course development and technology as a support for pedagogical goals. Also, I independently researched information on the cloud-based software, Open Class, and shared my findings in the post.

Learning Theories and Online Learning was the topic for Week 19. From the resources provided by the POT faculty and from what I discovered through an Internet search, I learned about the (proposed) learning theory of connectivism and how it can guide the design and desired outcomes of online courses.

In reading and viewing the POT learning resources provided during Week 20 (Intro to Educational Technology & Instructional Design), I was given an historical perspective of technology in online learning. Also based on the learning resources, I found myself pondering ways to get students to “think.”

Week 21 (Web-enhanced and Hybrid Open Classes) was filled with very thoughtful resources and discussion regarding MOOCs and emergent learning. Wanting to learn even more (i.e. emergent learning), I further researched student outcomes relate to MOOCs and shared this information with my fellow learners.

In Week 22 (PNLs), I learned about the importance of Personal Learning Networks.

For Week 23 (Presentations), I introduced the topic, Online Learners; specifically addressing demographic data related to online learners, reasons why students take online courses, and how to prepare students for online learning. My initial plan for the presentation was to create a Slidecast – which seemed a fitting way to introduce this topic. However, after uploading the power point slides to Slideshare and recording the audio with Audacity, I discovered that I was going to have to upgrade my Slideshare account (i.e. pay money) to create a Slidecast……and changed my mind. I then decided to use the power point slides with voice-over audio. Once I completed this, I converted the presentation to a YouTube video (first one) so that it could embedded in my blog.

Using the POT Certificate Class Self-Assessment Rubric, I would grade myself as follows:
Very likely to achieve learning objectives: Quantity of Posts, Length of Posts, Completing and Absorbing Readings, Studying Videos, and Time Spent on Course

Somewhere in between very likely and moderately likely to achieve learning objectives: Content of Posts

Moderately likely to achieve high learning objectives: Commenting on Colleagues’ Posts

Not as likely to achieve learning objectives: Extending participation in the online learning community (although I did attend the MCC-sponsored PDP offering, 3C Media)

Beyond using the rubric, it is difficult for me to comment on the quality of my posts. All I can say is that I sure tried to be thoughtful and engaging…. even though I do not currently teach an online course.

My thoughts regarding this program are nothing but positive. Both the POT instructors and my fellow learners were extremely supportive. On a personal note, my goal for this semester was to become more confident and competent with technology. Well, I have definitely become more competent with technology (keeping in mind that I began with essentially no skills), but still need to work on the element of confidence. Irrespective of my challenges with technology, I believe that I have the knowledge and skills to successfully design and teach an online course. Thanks to the POT faculty and learners for making this happen.