Week 3

Francophone culture in the world

Link to  knowledge: http://www.frenchteachers.org/bulletin/articles/culture/onteachcult.pdf

Pedagogical goals and objectives for a  class:

A couple of  objectives among others I have for my class  are the following and which I always present each semester :

1- Web-based researchs (by group and individual works)  to make sound comparisons between European and American cultures or from other countries (having a multicultural class, I tell students to also compare European  culture to their own if different from American culture).

2- Engage students in meaningful exchanges with foreign college students through letters and a blog. These written exchanges offer different views on various topics of life ranging from music, education to how people of all ages live in different countries.

➳In the tutorial under “Design Elements”, I would put these two objectives in the “Tool” section. These two objectives  would be labeled in the “Component of course, as “posted writings.”

I was looking in the tutorial at the different storyboard designs : I find them similar to Blackboard where I already do a mix of day by day and weekly assignments.  I also post in advance (as reminders) the “big” assignments for the entire semester.

But after looking at Lisa Lane’s self-paced “Where the hell do I start?” I now think that I should add auditory cues to make it more “interesting” and not just visual cues.

5 thoughts on “Week 3

1. Walter Muryasz

Danièle,
    The use of auditory cues or the use of your voice to explain some point or aspect of a lesson can enhance students retention and understanding of the material. This is especially effective if you speak naturally and let the intonation of your voice come across. The student will feel that you are explaining the point directly to them. I have always gotten positive feedback for the use of podcast in my classes.

Walter

2. Danièle Arnaud

Bonjour, Laura,

I have to try especially after reading what you just said. I have not being doing anything in regards to auditory cues except for the Wimbas feedback because I am already quite busy but I will start this coming week.
    It might give more incentive to the students also to listen to my voice, who knows! We shall see and I keep you posted.
    Merci, Laura, and have a good weekend.

3. Danièle Arnaud

Bonjour, Donna,

I just created a blog about 1 year and half ago based on cultural events across Europe (actually mainly France) and the US and I added members upon invitation to my existing blog (so far my Miracosta students) from a college I have been working with (the English dept.) next to Bordeaux, France.
    All of this started when I placed a free ad on the Internet not expecting anyone to answer me back….It took just 2 days to get some answers. I was impressed!
    Now I don’t have the time to answer everyone because almost every day someone comes in to be invited. I monitor everything: I don’t like the comments, I don’t accept anything or anyone.

4. Donna

Bonjour Danièle!

How do you pair MCC students up with other French students? I love, love, love this idea…. is it cumbersome? how do you monitor the interactions… or do you? Can you share with me?

Merci madame!

Donna

5. Laura Paciorek

I think the part where you have students interact meaningfully with foreign college students is so neat! It is a great example of how technology can open the doors when it comes to the activities we can do with students. I bet that students get a lot out of that activity that they could not get when learning from a textbook or with their own class peers.

I talked a little bit about auditory cues at a workshop recently. I have an audio version of my weekly welcome messages for each learning module. I sometimes wonder if students believe something more if they hear it. It might be easier for them to hear the intonation in my voice and interpret the message, possibly. What do you think?