Online Syllabus

There were many great recommendations offered in the videos and in the chapter. The first recommendation that I will most likely follow is to provide very specific language/criteria regarding instructor and student expectations for the course. This will be especially important with regard to course participation and assignments. Among the specifics that I plan to provide are due dates with times/ time zones for assignments and discussion posts. I also will inform the students as to when they can expect instructor feedback and graded assignments.

As a doctoral leaner that recently completed coursework in an online environment, I was frustrated with the established deadlines for assignments/posts and not receiving feedback in a timely manner (or at least what I considered timely). The frustration with the established deadlines was that they were all in central time. As a Westcoaster, I hated not having 2  additional hours in the evening to complete my course work.

Another recommendation that I will follow is providing redundancy. As such, I will ensure that important info is located in more places than the syllabus. Yet another suggestion that I will use is to provide the syllabus as a google doc as well as entering into BlackBoard under content. I personally love having a hard copy of the course schedule………and I like the schedule to be a in a table format.

The most striking difference between the online syllabi and syllabi in the textbook is that the online syllabi are in fact interactive. The hyperlinks in particular make it a living document.