Setting up an online course

The focus of this week’s learning activities was setting up an online course. The Ko and Rossen textbook provided some useful recommendations on ways to structure the course. Lisa’s blog also provided very insightful and practical information about online course development that I doubt you can find in a book. Lastly, the manifesto on online training provided “food for thought” regarding all aspects of online instruction.

When considering the structure of the course, I feel that weekly segments will work best. And although I may not have a say on how many students are enrolled in my course, I would prefer not to have more than 25 students. As my favorite teaching strategy is to ask critical thinking questions, I will need to design the course so that there are ample opportunities for me promote critical thinking among students. Lastly. in keeping with Lisa’s statement that a priority of students is learning from the teacher, I really want to ensure that I am more of a teacher than a facilitator in the online course that I develop.