Medical Billing & Coding

Week 22 – POTCERT – PERSONAL LEARNING NETWORKS

The idea that I have an “Ethical Responsibility” as explained byDean Shareski, in the video Sharing: The Moral Imperative was such a powerful concept.  As stated, that if education is sharing we have a moral imperative to share with the world not just our little pod of learners.  We see so many examples of educators wanting to share and during this course I have been lead to educational sites with so much information  I have only been able to scratch the surface.  It is an exciting time for education and educators alike.  So many options to share our piece of the pie and so much to explore.

Really enjoyed the video with Alec Couros, Teaching and Learning in a Networked World  Also, enjoyed the annotations by Lisa.  Again so exciting about the power of technology and education.  I had the pleasure to see Stephen Downes  speak at the Online Conference last year and was enlightened by his presentation, but at the time had no idea of his influence on education.  His MOOCS are changing the face of education and presentations of learning.  As Stephen Downes wrote for Huffington Post we  “should move beyond the idea of education as being something provided for us, and toward something we create for ourselves. Schools are valuable, but schools need to make the transition or will be only one node of possibilities instead of the primary node for learning. We are on the cusp of a revolution and can contribute to that.”  What an exciting time for education to be able to expand our knowledge and engage all.  Instead of quoting I should be writing my own observations, but he says it so much better than I.

Martin Weller on The Virtues of Blogging as a Scholarly Activity  provided some great examples that emphasized the scholarly benefits of blogging and the academic acceptance of scholarly blogs.  Since the acceptance of the use of scholarly blogs it seems we now have a great way to build our research portfolio.  And we have the luxury of time to build one piece at a time.  What a great way to share and learn in a connective environment.   I now spend more time creating Youtube instructional videos for my classes and am learning with your help how to make better presentations.  It has been a great sharing experience with you POT people with your collective and individual wealth of knowledge.

And a huge thank you for the great example shared by Helen Crump,  Her presentation was professional and informative.  Such a great example for me to learn from.  Thank you so much for sharing your video and audio information.  You have a warm and engaging voice also.

I teach in a small arena of medical terminology, medical coding and billing,  and would love to interact with other instructors so we could share ideas, videos and other online presentations.  I will be searching out this learning network as I grow in the online community.

Found this image about linking in the online world. Found it appropriate for our learning style.

PERSONAL LEARNING NETWORKS