Medical Billing & Coding

WEEK 1 – POTCERT

Hello all you brave people.  My name is Jo Moore and I am a freeway flyer so I drive from Oceanside to the LA area to teach medical terminology, and medical billing.  I teach at four community colleges.  I teach one class online and seven other classes that are face to face classes.  I also hybrid the face to face classes.

I took the POT Cert course last year but did not complete the entire course.  I got stuck when I got to the Powerpoint presentation week.  I had nothing but problems with this assignment and it took me two months to complete the project.  I ran into the Fear of Looking Stupid so did not ask for help.  However, because of all the difficulties I encountered  I learned tons about my computer and online tutorials.  I came into the POT Cert course with very little knowledge of educational technology.  I have always used computers to basically type, search the web, make purchases, and email.  With the POT training last year I now have a much better base for utilizing the tools available to teachers and students.  I am very excited to be taking the course and really like having the extra time to absorb what I have been learning and help reinforce my teaching techniques.  I only touched the tip of the iceberg last semester because I was so overwhelmed.  Now I have a better grasp of the material and hope to really produce some great educational material for my students.

Thanks to all the folks who work so hard to teach us rookies.  The presentations are inspiring and great samples of what we can produce.

One Response to “WEEK 1 – POTCERT”

1. Shahrzad says:

Hi Jo,

I enjoyed reading your blog. After I finished university, I also commuted between San Diego and Los Angeles 3 times a week. I was worn out after just one year, so I know how brave and energetic you must be to be driving back and forth and teaching at so many different places.

I also took the course last year and ended up dropping it because I was working long hours for the Escondido School District. I am glad to be back on board. If you ever run into any problems, don’t hesitate to ask me. I am quite good with computers and may be able to help you out.

Nice to meet you.

Shahrzad.