Medical Billing & Coding

WEEK 11 – POT CERT – A BIT SCARED

A bit scared is my first reaction after reading all the legal requirements.  I have to ask is any item I download available to all types of learners, and how do I make it compliant?  Is Blackboard the appropriate site for legal purposes?  I assume that it is?  I now have to evaluate the drop box item and widgets more closely.  Good thing I saw this info before spending more time downloading outside resources onto my blogs or Blackboard site.

So it is interesting though the available information in our library at MiraCosta. So I would assume you could use any of that information in the class.

The textbook I use has a website that my class utilizes all semester.  We are an electronic billing course, so we use the textbook’s website to complete real world style billing experiences.  On their site there is also a grading system, drop box, discussion board, and test sites.  I would assume these sites meet all of the legal qualifications.

So with this site and Blackboard I think there are plenty of information sites with appropriate presentation.  Right?

Just like every week with this course there is so much to learn and so many opportunities to make the students’ learning experience more engaging and lively.  Thanks to all!

5 Responses to “WEEK 11 – POT CERT – A BIT SCARED”

1. Lisa M Lane says:

I hope I can allay your fear somewhat.

First of all, any text (pdf, web page, Blackboard page) can be read by a screen reader, so you’re good for those who are visually challenged. Audio and video can be heard, so if you provide a text version, you’re good there.

Yes, I’m overgeneralizing, but it’s good to keep in mind the intent rather than drowning in rules.

No LMS, including Blackboard, meets or can meet all legal qualifications, because it’s just a shell. We can load totally inaccessible stuff into it. So it’s not the platform – just think about your content and whether you could use it if you had visual or aural challenges.

• Jo Moore says:

Hello Lisa, Thanks for the reassurance. After watching the information posted I just wanted to make sure there were no legal issues that I had missed. It is so great that here at MiraCosta we have help from so many great instructors. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. I am certainly thankful for you.
      Jo

2. Michelle Farnam says:

This topic does bring up many questions. Like Lisa said, don’t drown in the rules. It could be very overwhelming. There are many resources on the internet but sometimes I find that asking my colleagues is quite helpful too.
    Michelle

• Jo Moore says:

Hello Michelle, Thank you for the kind words. Just want to make sure I do not create more problems for myself than necessary. I think the suggestion of asking other teachers is the best advise. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.
      Jo

3. Rachele DeMeo says:

It “scared” me to some extent the legalities but I am starting to understand them. I think listing the resource is essential. And it protects oneself.