Joyful Tidings #19: A Joyous Meeting! (An Agenda for the Ages)

via GIPHY

PDP Committee Meeting
Friday September 8: 11:30-1:30
In the TIC

I know, I know, the joy of a two-hour Friday meeting can be staggering — too much to cope with in any human being’s inbox.

But I wish to make the case that the meeting agenda I am sharing with you here (yes, per Brown Act rules but also because …jeepers…this really is a heck of a meeting) offers a dazzling menu of faculty meeting surprises including (but not limited to!) the following:

​1) an actual conversation about teaching and learning and our love of it (ok, settle down…settle down), 

2) a spirited discussion of a goal and set of objectives that could, quite simply, change the face of higher education in America

3) a fantasy tour of what our promised C3 Teaching and Learning Center might look like (close your eyes and imagine a galaxy far, far, away) and 

4) a sing / snap along of our official flex anthem.

​A Challenge to My Academic Affairs Colleagues

I looked over my friend and colleague Suzie Bailey’s Academic Affairs committee meeting agenda and that was, inarguably, thoughtful and substantive. And, not surprisingly, she sent hers out way before ours. 

But with all due respect to a brilliant colleague and faculty leader on this campus, I saw no fantasy tour or song in there.​ 

More importantly, I saw no hyperbolic exaggerations or lies in Suzie’s agenda, and I see at least one whopper in this email extolling the transformative power of our coming PDP meeting. 

For these reasons, I must — however reluctantly– conclude that PDP has won the first round of The Battle of Second Friday Meeting Agendas.

Just sayin…

Prepostero
PDP Coordinator