Medical Billing & Coding

WEEK 2 – POT CERT – GETTING STARTED

When I first took the Beginner’s Questionnaire I felt that my teaching style should be around a 12 but after watching Lisa’s video I felt that I actually wanted to create an online presence more like a 15 style.  I want to create more video presence in my course.  I am currently teaching my first online course since I have been enlightened through the POT Cert last year.  I taught a hybrid course a few years ago but had no idea of the POWER OF TECHNOLOGY.  So, as I go along this semester my students are reaping the benefits of this great education I am receiving.

After rereading Ko and Rossen and using the Getting Started Chart  I have charted out my class STYLE while working within the Blackboard format.  These are some of the items I want to include as I start out.

• Use toolbar for weekly assignment folder
  • Continue to build content in the Resources folder
  • Use links in weekly assignment folder to professional organizations, Youtube videos, textbook resources, etc
  • Create weekly short videos to keep an online presence
  • Add Diigo
  • Graded for participation  Discussion Board
  • Graded weekly assessments
  • Graded quizzes and midterm
  • Interactive Syllabus

Some of this material I already utilize and some I am building.  As  Melissa noted in her video we will be spending a lot of time creating with our new knowledge and it will take a large time commitment.  I sure am enjoying the learning process and pulling myself out into  a new era of teaching tools. (Which has been around for quite some time.  Who knew?)