Medical Billing & Coding

WEEK 7 – POTCERT – THE ONLINE CLASSROOM

I read the text by Ko and Rosen, read and printed out Lisa’s blog on the Seven Things I’d Want to Know, watched the Manifesto, and watched Jennifer Humber’s video, and was educated by all.  I really learned the most though from watching Louisa Moon’s “10 TIME SAVING TIPS FOR ONLINE TEACHER.”

Quite a few of her tips I already practice with my class.

1.  I use Blackboard for my educational site.

2.  I post in the syllabus the entire year’s schedule.  I then repeat that information in the Assignment and Announcement sections.

3.  I use Blackboard’s Crocodoc for turning in assignments.  And that is such a joy to use and so easy to comment on patient’s papers line by line.

4.  I am using videos with the Blackboard site.  This is so easy now that I really have enjoyed using this option.  However, I usually work at night and look a fright so I have to schedule time in the day when I look more professional.

5.  My students are to contact me via email which I reply to a few times a week.

There are some tips Louiaa explained and that I will start to utilize more effectively.

1.  I did not consider that a video was not contact.  She emphasized that this was considered just a part of the content and not communication.  I always comment on tests but I will add more “meat” to my comments to make a personal touch.

2.  I have not yet generated tests through Blackboard but do really want to start utilizing this and adding a rubrics.  I see this as my next big task to make my grading duties more efficient and less daunting.

3.  I have been introduced to much technology and I need to spend more time mastering some of these great teaching tools.  A great tool I want to use is Whiteboard.  I think it will be a great option for my class as we are filling out forms for most of the class content.  I teach medical billing and we are to complete medical claim forms.  I want to create some videos and Whiteboard lessons for class presentation.  A mock of what we would do in a f2f class.

Thought I would include this link for a Youtube site for audio you can add as background music to your videos. Kind of a fun free tool.

http://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary

Here are some learning technology tools you might want to try.