Medical Billing & Coding

WEEK 10 – POTCERT – CLASS RESOURCES AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

What a ton of great information this week.    Just want to review the information so I have it all in one place.

The Youtube video by Laura and Richard was a great example of an engaging video production.  I was undecided as to which style of presentation I would use in my post next week but this inspired me to be more creative and also produce a Youtube video.   Now I will have to come up with something fun and useful for my presentation.  Thanks for the inspiration.

How amazing are the teachers who set up the California Community College Consortium digital library.  It always takes a small group of dedicated people to make a huge difference in the world.  What a wonderful legacy they have left and what a great source of free information for teachers and their hard working students.  I have browsed the titles and my field is not covered yet.  I teach medical billing and coding and this information changes every six months in a dramatic fashion.  Also with the Affordable Care Act we have new information almost daily.  However, I took some time to view some of the archived webinars and they are informative and free.   I, of course, have bookmarked these and will be sharing with colleagues and students.

The free downloadable ebooks from the Gutenburg Project are amazing.  I will be downloading to my iPad for my vacation this winter break and will be reading on the beach in Belize FREE books.  I am also bringing materials to a school on Caye Caulker, where we are staying, and will be bringing along some of these great websites for them to share.  Getting books in Belize is expensive and I will be the hero sharing this great information with the teachers on the island.

How AMAZING was the TED talk with Lawrence Lessing.  Really made me think about the way our kids see education and technology, or technology and any pa

rt of their life.  Put things into prospective for me.  How exciting are the opportunities to share knowledge and impact the world, just with the creative ways we can communicate and share information.  I will be sharing this video with my family, who are all teachers, for our weekly salon.

The information on UT about intellectual property used to scare me, but now see how easy it is to use material that is not protected.  There is so much information that people are willing to share why not use that material and be comfortable with the legal issues.  I use Youtube videos constantly in my classes.  You have to do a lot of searching for great material, but you can find some real gems.  When I cannot find something I like I just then make my own videos.  Having fun this semester with all the great mashup options now in Blackboard. Sure makes my life easier.

Excited about making a video for next week.  Need to get started on a script and platform.